SHERWOOD, TX (WILBARGER COUNTY)
SHERWOOD, TEXAS (Wilbarger County). Sherwood was a school community thirteen miles north of Vernon in northwest Wilbarger County. It evolved during the mid-1880s, when settlers began to move into the area. In 1893 a rural school, which became Sherwood, was established to serve a small district north of Fargo. No businesses were founded; the mail came through Doan's. Early residents of Sherwood included the Hamilton, Sanderson, Hull, and Rogers families. In 1935 the Sherwood district was absorbed by the new Northside school. No evidence of the former community appeared on 1980 county maps.
Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "SHERWOOD, TX (WILBARGER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsee), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.