STONY POINT, TX
STONY POINT, TEXAS. Stony Point, a school community in Collin County, received its name from the white boulders projecting from the ground nearby. The Stony Point School was operating as a free school by 1880 and was still in existence by 1900 but closed soon after. The community was gradually abandoned after the school closed.
J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958). Fred Tarpley, Place Names of Northeast Texas (Commerce: East Texas State University, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "STONY POINT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsev), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.