SHADY GROVE, TX (BURNET COUNTY)
SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Burnet County). Shady Grove is a rural community on Farm Road 1174 nine miles northeast of Burnet in east central Burnet County. The site, where the old Austin-Lampasas and Burnet-Belton roads crossed the Middle San Gabriel River, was settled first in the 1850s and 1860s. The settlement was known as Russell Gabriel in the 1850s, then Middle Fork of the Gabriel, and finally Shady Grove, for the grove of live oak trees where the school and cemetery were located. During the 1870s the community had a store and a blacksmith shop. At an early date a cotton gin and corn mill were established on the creek in Alex Barton's pasture. In 1896 the J. H. Kleen family moved from Williamson County and built a gin near the crossroads. Kleen also helped build the two church buildings in the community. Robert E. Lee Masonic Lodge was chartered in 1875 and met upstairs in the Norton Moses home until 1878, when it was moved into the floor above the school. The lodge continued until 1920. Early-day settlers were William Wilkinson (1852), Alexander Russell (1860), Norton Moses, Robert Lastley, Orange P. Prentess, Taylor Stanley, and A. C. Null (1860s). The post office for Shady Grove was called Tamega. In 1877 A. M. Barton deeded to the Russell Gabriel community land for a school, church, and cemetery. The Strickling Baptist Church became the Shady Grove Baptist Church in 1907 and met until 1958. The Cumberlain Presbyterian Church was organized in 1878 and continued active until 1966, when the membership transferred to the Bertram Presbyterian Church. Strickling School opened in 1869 two miles north on the North San Gabriel; it changed its name to Shady Grove School in 1877 and operated until it was consolidated with the Bertram school in 1942. In 1958 a homecoming was planned, and a cemetery association was formed. In 1968 the association secured title to the land and buildings at the community center, which is used for group meetings as well as a homecoming each year.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Estelle Bryson, "SHADY GROVE, TX (BURNET COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsex), accessed February 08, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles