TENNESSEE VALLEY, TX
TENNESSEE VALLEY, TEXAS. Tennessee Valley was on the Leon River five miles northwest of Belton in northwestern Bell County. The community was founded in 1851 by a party of settlers who originated in the Tennessee valley and named the new settlement for their former home. The Tennessee Valley school had some seventy-two pupils in 1896. There was a commercial pecan orchard at Tennessee Valley in the 1920s, and in 1948 the community had two churches and two businesses. In the mid-1950s the site of the community was inundated by Lake Belton.
Bertha Atkinson, The History of Bell County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929). George Tyler, History of Bell County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "TENNESSEE VALLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt17), accessed September 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.