TOWSON, TEXAS. Towson was on the Red River between Kiomatia and the site of present Davenport in northwestern Red River County, eight miles from the Lamar county line. The town was in the area of some of the earliest Anglo-American settlement in the state and seems to have emerged in the early 1870s. In 1875 a post office was opened with B. W. Hooks as postmaster, and the settlement was known as Hooks Ferry. The post office was closed the next year, and when it reopened in 1885, again with Hooks as postmaster, it was renamed Towson. In 1890 the population was estimated at fifty, and businesses included two general stores and a wagon maker. The Towson post office was closed in 1905. Although a business and several houses appear in the area on the 1936 highway department map, Towson does not appear as a named community. By 1984 only a few widely scattered houses remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "TOWSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt81), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.