TIN TOP, TX (PARKER COUNTY)
TIN TOP, TEXAS (Parker County). Tin Top, a farming community on Farm Road 2580 nine miles south of Weatherford in south central Parker County, was settled in the mid-1880s. It was first called Smith after an early settler, and later, Irby, after local rancher Benjamin F. Irby. The name Tin Top derived from a cotton gin built there in 1909; it had a galvanized-metal roof that could be seen for miles. The community lay dormant until 1949, when its few scattered residents combined with those of nearby Balch, Horse Shoe Bend, and Hightower under the name Tin Top; they built a community center and reestablished churches. From 1980 through 1990 the community reported a population of twenty-five. The Tin Top Suspension Bridge, which spans the Brazos River, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Parker County Centennial Association, Panorama of the Past: 100 Years of Progress (Weatherford, Texas, 1956). Parker County Historical Commission, History of Parker County (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "TIN TOP, TX (PARKER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt85), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.