UNION CHAPEL, TX (CAMP COUNTY)
UNION CHAPEL, TEXAS (Camp County). Union Chapel, on Farm Road 2554 four miles southeast of Pittsburg in southeastern Camp County, was a church and school community during the early twentieth century. A school for African Americans was constructed, and rebuilt from 1927 to 1928 at a cost of $1,200. The two-room building was funded by African American citizens ($130), White citizens ($486), the public ($184), and the Rosenwald Fund ($400). The school, both a common school and an industrial school, was reputed to have had an enrollment of 180 at one time. By 1935 it had been consolidated with the Ebenezer school district. When the church was destroyed by a storm in 1951 the congregation received permission to use the abandoned school property. They purchased it in 1962 and constructed a new church on it. In 1983 the remnants of Union Chapel were the church and a cemetery.
Artemesia L. B. Spencer, The Camp County Story (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1974). http://rosenwald.fisk.edu/?module=search.details&set_v=aWQ9NDI0Ng==&school_county=camp&school_state=TX&button=Search&o=0, accessed 7/7/2015.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "UNION CHAPEL, TX (CAMP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvu08), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on July 7, 2015. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.