WANETA, TEXAS. Waneta, off Farm Road 228 ten miles northeast of Grapeland in northeastern Houston County, was established around 1899, when a post office opened; it operated until 1909. In 1915 the population was ten. In the mid-1930s the small community had a school and a number of houses. The school was later consolidated with Percilla school, and by the mid-1960s only a community center and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WANETA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw08), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.