WILCOX, TEXAS (Somervell County). Wilcox was near the site of present-day George's Creek in the northeast corner of Somervell County. It was named for William Cox, who settled on a nearby bend of the Brazos River in 1855. Settlement began in the mid-1850s. Not long thereafter, however, the residents moved to the George's Creek settlement, which soon after the Civil War provided area farmers with a church, a school, and several businesses.
W. C. Nunn, Somervell: Story of a Texas County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1975).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.