WILSON SPRINGS, TX
WILSON SPRINGS, TEXAS. Wilson Springs (also called Mill Hollow and Mustang Springs) was on Mustang Creek two miles northwest of Taylor in southeast Williamson County. John Gooch, the first settler, built a water-powered gristmill in 1849 and called the site Mill Hollow. The property passed through several owners until it was bought by John S. Wilson in 1856, and the community was eventually named Wilson Springs, after the various members of the Wilson family who settled there. Charles B. Wilson was said to be the first Williamson County sheep rancher to use telegraph wire as fencing, and a rock house erected by the Wilson family in 1860 was still standing in 1973. A gin was built around 1880, and the Wilson Springs school served thirty-nine pupils in 1903. The community had a population of twenty in 1940. The school was consolidated with the Hutto and Taylor schools in 1949, and Wilson Springs was no longer on the county map in 1988.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "WILSON SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw57), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles