PRICE'S CREEK, TX
PRICE'S CREEK, TEXAS. The Price's Creek settlement was established on Price's Creek in southwestern DeWitt County near the Victoria county line by David Murphree and David Power in 1848. Other families then settled there, and though the farming community had no stores it supported a school, a horse-driven cotton gin, and a Sunday school. A post office operated from April 1854 until October 1866, was reestablished in February 1869, and closed in November 1877. Slaves contributed labor to the local economy, which was based on stock raising and cotton production. When the Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railway extended its line through the area in 1872, the county's first depot was established nearby and called Thomaston; Price's Creek was merged with Thomaston.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "PRICE'S CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hwp01), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.