CHRISTIAN PREACHER. The Christian Preacher, the voice of the conservative wing of the Disciples of Christ in North Texas, was first published in 1875 under the name Texas Christian Monthly at McKinney, by Collin M. Wilmeth and his brother James. Their father, Joseph Bryce Wilmeth, was one of the first settlers and public officials of Collin County and a cofounder of the first Christian Church in the county. Following the Civil War the Disciples of Christ established a society for home mission work, and a number of churches introduced the use of instrumental music in services. These actions produced a schism within the denomination and became a matter of public debate until the conservative elements separated in 1906 to form the Church of Christ. C. M. Wilmeth, assisted by his brother, entered the public debate with the publication of Texas Christian Monthly, originally produced at McKinney in 1875. Wilmeth moved the journal in 1877 to Dallas, where he established a publishing house in connection with the paper and renamed it the Christian Preacher. Although Wilmeth published church news and a calendar of coming events, most of the Christian Preacher was devoted to commentaries that attacked the "progressive" tenets of the other faction of the church. The editorials, demonstrative and flamboyant, often were a response to remarks published in the Christian Messenger, a rival religious paper edited by Thomas R. Burnett. These two publications acted as a public forum for members of the Disciples of Christ. The Christian Preacher ceased publication probably before the turn of the century.
Colby D. Hall, Texas Disciples (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1953). Chalmers McPherson, Disciples of Christ in Texas (Cincinnati: Standard, 1920). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).