TEXAS-LOUISIANA LUTHERAN. The Texas Lutheran was the official organ of the Texas Synod of the United Lutheran Church. It was a monthly publication established in 1912 with A. H. Kaub as editor. In 1947 the editor was W. L. Lentz, Port Lavaca. In 1958 it was renamed the Texas-Louisiana Lutheran and became the official publication of the Texas-Louisiana Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, which was formed in 1963 from the old Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Texas and Louisiana. This periodical was not the same as the Southern Lutheran of the Southern District of the American Lutheran Church. David Cooper, who had been Texas Lutheran editor, became editor of the new publication, a position which he held in 1972. The Texas-Louisiana Lutheran carried church news and ecumenical items. On fifteen by twelve inch newsprint, the paper usually had six pages. Circulation was 11,993 in 1971 and went to each member family in the northern, southern, and eastern districts of the synod. In the 1990s the Texas-Louisiana Lutheran was no longer in publication. The national magazine, The Lutheran, was the official publication. See also LUTHERAN CHURCH.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.W. A. Flachmeier, "TEXAS-LOUISIANA LUTHERAN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ilt02), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles