Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BURNETTA COLLEGE

BURNETTA COLLEGE. Burnetta College, at Venus, operated from 1896 to 1906 under the sponsorship of the Disciples of Christ. The school was named for Burnetta Barnes. Its four-story frame building was built with contributions of $500 by the citizens of Venus and a $5,000 gift from A. D. Leach, who became the school's first president. The college opened with 250 students on September 7, 1896. At its largest Burnetta College had 350 day students, some boarders, and from eight to ten teachers. The building subsequently burned and was rebuilt, but the college was later abandoned, and the building became the property of the Venus public schools.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Viola Block, History of Johnson County and Surrounding Areas (Waco: Texian Press, 1970). Stephen Daniel Eckstein, History of the Churches of Christ in Texas, 1824–1950 (Austin: Firm Foundation, 1963). Colby D. Hall, Texas Disciples (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1953). Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986).

David Minor

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

David Minor, "BURNETTA COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbb22), accessed July 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.