CENTRAL PLAINS ACADEMY
CENTRAL PLAINS ACADEMY. Central Plains Academy, at Estacado in Crosby County, was founded in 1890 by Quakers who had opened a school there in the fall of 1882 for six pupils taught by Emma Hunt. The student body had increased to thirty-two by 1886, when the two teachers each received forty-five dollars a month as salary. In 1884 the school was made a high school and equipped with patented desks. In 1889 it was raised to junior college rank and named Central Plains Academy. It was the first institution of higher learning on the Llano Estacado. Rev. Jesse H. Moore was made president of the college; he had an M.A. from Harvard University and a Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University. Other teachers included E. C. Lewis and Elva Lewis, both master of arts graduates of Penn College. Mrs. Jesse H. Moore, bachelor of music from Johns Hopkins University, was teacher of music, voice, and violin. The two-year institution was originally housed in a new twenty-by-sixty-foot frame building next to the Quaker church, and the rest of the school was taught in the church. Enrollment grew to over 100 students; the first and only graduating class had eighteen students. In the spring of 1893 Central Plains Academy closed. The Quaker community was disintegrating as farmers left in discouragement due to drought and grasshoppers. See also RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF FRIENDS.
Roger A. Burgess, "Pioneer Quaker Farmers of the South Plains," Panhandle-Plains Historical Review 1 (1928). Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, A History of Crosby County, 1876–1977 (Dallas: Taylor, 1978). Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, Estacado: Cradle of Culture and Civilization on the Staked Plains of Texas (Crosbyton, Texas, 1986; based on an M.A. thesis by John Cooper Jenkins).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary L. Cox, "CENTRAL PLAINS ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc12), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.