CENTENARY COLLEGE. Centenary College, in Lampasas, Lampasas County, was founded by local Methodists in 1883, the centennial of the organization of the Methodist Church in the United States. It was the first coeducational college in Lampasas. The school was housed in two three-story buildings, and the college's enrollment in its first year was 174. The Reverend Marshall McIlhaney was the college's first president. The school sold its property in 1894 and moved classes to the vacant Park Hotel. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1895, and Centenary College closed. The former Centenary College buildings were used by a Catholic boarding academy, St. Dominic's Villa, between 1900 and 1925. The site is marked with a Texas Historical Commission marker.
Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "CENTENARY COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc53), accessed November 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles