DALLAS COLLEGE. Dallas College, probably an outgrowth of Dallas Male and Female College, was the result of a long period of agitation for a good Baptist college in the Dallas area. By September 1878 the Elm Fork Baptist Association and the Baptist Educational Association of Northern Texas had raised sufficient funds to open the school near the site of the fairgrounds in Dallas. The appointed faculty included instructors in chemistry, music, languages, fine arts, and theology. The school was divided into primary, preparatory, and collegiate departments. Tuition ran from two to five dollars, depending on the level of instruction. G. W. Rogers, the first president, was followed by C. H. Hobbs. The school closed in 1881 for lack of students.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DALLAS COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbd03), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles