DALLAS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE
DALLAS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE. Dallas Male and Female College was established by the Elm Fork Baptist Association in 1869, when the trustees of the Mount Calvary Seminary at Mount Calvary, Dallas County, offered to donate the property of that school to the association on condition that a college be located there. A board of trustees was appointed and authorized to make arrangements for the school and to employ a corps of teachers. John Hanna was elected principal. In 1870 the legal donation of the property was made with the provisions that the school remain there and that a quorum of the trustees be elected from the Mount Calvary church. The school operated until possibly 1873 or 1874 and expanded its plant a bit; but apparently it closed for want of patronage, for its supporters were later among the founders of Dallas College.
Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DALLAS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbd04), accessed July 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.