DRIPPING SPRINGS ACADEMY
DRIPPING SPRINGS ACADEMY. Dripping Springs Academy, at Dripping Springs, was established in 1881 by W. M. Jordan, W. T. Chapman, and several other residents. The Pedernales Baptist Association managed it from 1882 until 1889, when dissatisfied local citizens caused the association to discharge the governing board and appoint a new one. The school reached a peak enrollment of 200 students, but when state-funded schools drew students away and local citizens demanded a public school, the association closed the academy. The campus consisted of a stone main building and two boarding houses. The main building served as a public schoolhouse from 1889 to 1949. In 1968 it was dedicated as a historic landmark.
Tula Townsend Wyatt, Historical Markers in Hays County (San Marcos, Texas: Hays County Historical Commission, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carolyn Hyman, "DRIPPING SPRINGS ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbd11), accessed July 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.