INDIAN CREEK ACADEMY
INDIAN CREEK ACADEMY. Indian Creek Academy was granted its charter by the state legislature on January 5, 1854, apparently to serve the citizens of northwest Jasper County near Bevilport, on Indian Creek. The charter specified that the institution was not to be controlled by any single religious denomination. Its trustees included Louis P. Seale, Avery Breed, M. F. Hart, Davis S. Henderson, Jabez Esbell, L. B. Yates, and Randolph C. Doom, all residents of Jasper County during the 1850s. Classes were to be held at the Indian Creek Church. The Indian Creek Academy, however, was never opened, because of the success of another school in the area, the Jasper Collegiate Institute. A less ambitious grade school subsequently set up in the church was taught by Elisha Seale.
Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898). William Seale, Texas Riverman: The Life and Times of Captain Andrew Farney Smyth (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "INDIAN CREEK ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbi04), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.