LON MORRIS COLLEGE
LON MORRIS COLLEGE. Lon Morris College was founded in 1854 as the New Danville Masonic Female Academy near Kilgore. In 1873, under the leadership of Dr. Isaac Alexander, a young Methodist minister, the school moved into Kilgore and became Alexander Institute. It was a private school until 1875, when it became a part of the East Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The school was moved to Jacksonville in 1894 and given the property of the Sunset Academy, a private school owned by a Jacksonville education organization, as an inducement to move. In Jacksonville it operated under the name Alexander Collegiate Institute. It was accredited by the Texas Department of Education in 1884 and by the University of Texas in 1895. The Twin Towers Building on the present campus on College Avenue was completed in 1909, and the school began to offer a junior college curriculum that same year. It was accredited by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and by the Texas Department of Education. After the institution received an endowment from R. A. "Lon" Morris, a Methodist lay preacher and banker in Pittsburg, Texas, it became Lon Morris College in 1924. In 1927 Lon Morris College became the first junior college in Texas accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges, and two years later it also became the first approved for a chapter in Phi Theta Kappa, a national junior college honor society. The Texas Historical Commission recognized Lon Morris College as the oldest junior college in Texas in 1972 and approved a marker for the campus. Lon Morris is also the only one of the pre-Civil War schools in East Texas still in existence. In 1935, when the college faced severe financial difficulties during the Great Depression, Cecil E. Peeples took over as president. Through his nearly four decades of leadership, the college was able to erect a modern plant of twelve permanent buildings and increase its permanent endowment to more than $8 million. In 1976 Faulk Landrum was appointed president. In 1986 a new chapel was added to the campus. The college offers courses in three division: fine arts, humanities, and sciences. Enrollment in the fall of 1998 was 321, with thirty-five faculty. The president was Clifford M. Lee.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Tracy Don Sears, "Lon Morris College," accessed January 17, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbl15.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.