LUTHER RICE BAPTIST FEMALE COLLEGE
LUTHER RICE BAPTIST FEMALE COLLEGE. Luther Rice Baptist Female College was planned in March 1856 at a meeting of the Eastern Baptist Convention in Marshall, Texas. The proposed college was to be located in or near Marshall and named for Luther Rice, a Congregationalist missionary to Burma who turned Baptist in 1814 and became a crusader for Baptist missionary efforts. A board of trustees was elected, including W. B. Featherstone and John V. E. Covey, and a charter was obtained, but no opening of the school was recorded.
James Milton Carroll, A History of Texas Baptists (Dallas: Baptist Standard, 1923). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "LUTHER RICE BAPTIST FEMALE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbl18), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.