MOUND PRAIRIE INSTITUTE
MOUND PRAIRIE INSTITUTE. Mound Prairie Institute, at Mound Prairie, eight miles northeast of Palestine, was organized in 1854 with a governing board of nine members and chartered with a proviso guarding the rights of the founder, J. R. Malone, a Baptist minister. The institute opened in 1855. A one-room building housed it for the first year. Only boys were admitted until 1857, when a female department, under the direction of Miss A. E. Dickson, was opened in a new building. Malone served as president and taught languages, mathematics, and belles lettres. In 1858 the school had five teachers and a larger building. The Cherokee Baptist Association endorsed but did not finance or control the school. In 1859 the school had 100 students and six dormitories. The Civil War decreased enrollment in 1860, however, and the school did not open in 1861. The buildings were sold to farmers.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MOUND PRAIRIE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm30), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.