RICHMOND MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY
RICHMOND MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY. Richmond Male and Female Academy, in Richmond, Fort Bend County, Texas, was in operation by June 1, 1850. It received its charter on February 13, 1852, as a nondenominational school. During its first session three instructors taught seventy students. Boys and girls were generally enrolled in separate classes but attended a few lectures together. The academy conducted classes until 1858, when it became bankrupt.
Jim L. Bridges, The History of Fort Bend County, 1821–1861 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."RICHMOND MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbr06), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.