ROCKWALL COLLEGE. Rockwall College (Wells College), in Rockwall, Rockwall County, began operations in 1894 as a private, nonsectarian liberal arts elementary and college preparatory school. It was established and presided over by J. K. Wells, who had served as superintendent of public schools in Rockwall from 1889 until 1892. The college was chartered in 1896. It advertised itself as a desirable environment for young people because, among other advantages, it was located in a town that had a "conspicuous absence of vices and pernicious influences." Though nonsectarian, the school insisted upon regular Sunday school and church attendance by the students. Rockwall College graduated some 200 students during its existence. The curriculum was divided between primary and preparatory departments and comprised traditional liberal arts courses such as English, Latin, and Greek, as well as such courses as shorthand and typing. The school's largest enrollment was 200. As the local public schools improved in quality, however, the college's enrollment declined, until it finally closed in 1912.
William Franklin Ledlow, History of Protestant Education in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926). Rockwall County Historical Foundation, Rockwall County History (Dallas: Taylor, 1984). O. L. Steger, Sr., History of Rockwall County (Wolfe City, Texas: Henington, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "ROCKWALL COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbr12), accessed July 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.