SOUTH TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE
SOUTH TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE. South Texas Junior College in Houston was founded in 1923 as part of the South Texas School of Law and Commerceqv and was operated as a coeducational branch of the Young Men's Christian Association of Houston and Harris County as a two-year liberal arts school. It was not supported by taxes. Classes met in the central YMCA building on Louisiana Street before moving to the M&M Building on Main Street in 1967. Enrollment increased from 144 in 1949 to 2,737 in 1973. The faculty numbered about 120 in 1973. The junior college was fully accredited and offered the first two years of college-level academic programs under five divisions: business administration, humanities, mathematics and sciences, social sciences, and physical education. An associate-degree program in police administration and a certificate program for YMCA secretaries were also available. The college conducted evening classes and two six-week summer sessions. In 1969 the library contained 51,071 bound volumes. Dormitory and athletic facilities were contained in the YMCA and YWCA buildings. The college participated in intercollegiate athletics through state and national conferences. In addition to placing higher education within the financial reach of youth and employed adults, a major aim of the college was to provide counseling and testing services. South Texas Junior College was purchased by the University of Houston and became that school's downtown campus in the fall of 1974; at that time 3,537 students were enrolled.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. June Rayfield Welch, The Colleges of Texas (Dallas: GLA Press, 1981). Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SOUTH TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs28), accessed July 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.