STONEWALL INSTITUTE. Stonewall Institute, a private school at Big Hill, Gonzales County, was established by George W. Flyqv. The school was in operation in 1867. It included an elementary division and courses in English, mathematics, Latin, Greek, and natural sciences. After it closed, the public school took the name Stonewall.
Gonzales County Historical Commission, History of Gonzales County (Dallas: Curtis, 1986).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.