STONEWALL SEMINARY. Stonewall Seminary, named for Confederate general Thomas Jonathan (Stonewall) Jackson, was established in 1876 by James Ransom Parkes, a Confederate veteran who graduated from McKenzie College and subsequently taught there. The one-story wooden building that housed the seminary was about a mile northeast of Woodland, Red River County, Texas. The school was coeducational. Its course of study began with the "ABCs" and included two years of college work, which was coordinated with Southwestern University. Approximately ten years were required to complete the prescribed course. The nine-month school year was divided into a "free school" term and a private or "paid school" term. The average attendance was fifty pupils, about twenty of whom came from other communities and paid tuition for the entire term, as did the pupils in the college classes. The boarding students lived either in the Parkes home or with other families in the community. At the end of the term a public examination was held in a brush arbor adjoining the school. Textbooks were distributed to the public, so that they might examine the pupils. Student compositions, a play, and a speech by a visiting speaker concluded the exercises. The faculty consisted of "Boss" Parkes, his wife, and their daughter, Hattie Parkes. Mrs. Ben Dalby taught piano and voice. Because of Parkes's failing health, the school closed at the end of the 1891–92 term.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick Smith, "STONEWALL SEMINARY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs54), accessed July 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.