TEXAS FEMALE INSTITUTE
TEXAS FEMALE INSTITUTE. Texas Female Institute, a Baptist school in Austin, was established by William W. Fontaine in 1875 in the basement of a Baptist church. A new building was erected in 1876 to meet the need of increased enrollment. The institution had preparatory, academic, collegiate, and art departments, and many of the students became teachers. The institute discontinued operation in 1881, when Fontaine accepted a position with Baylor Female College.
Willie Madora Long, Education in Austin Before the Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Herman L. Crow, "TEXAS FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbt10), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.