TRINITY LUTHERAN COLLEGE
TRINITY LUTHERAN COLLEGE. The establishment of Trinity Lutheran College, at Round Rock, was planned at the Kansas Conference of the Augustana Lutheran Synod in 1904, when representatives of the Austin District were organized into a temporary school board. Stamford and Round Rock competed for location of the school, and Round Rock was chosen after it offered fourteen lots, a cash bonus, and a well, and the International-Great Northern Railroad agreed to ship building materials at half price. On July 13, 1905, the building's cornerstone was laid. J. A. Stamline was elected president, and October 2, 1906, was set as opening day. The school opened with four faculty members and an initial enrollment of forty-eight students in the academy and eleven in the music department. The enrollment totaled ninety-six the first year, seventy-six the second, and eighty-four the third. J. Alfred Anderson became the second president in 1909 and was succeeded by Theodore Seashore in 1914. Despite a drop in enrollment during World War I, Seashore succeeded in making the school solvent and, in 1920, in securing its accrediting by the state department of education. By 1921, however, the enrollment had dropped to forty-six, and the regents doubted that they could continue to maintain the school. A movement to transfer the institution to Austin was voted down in 1923. Stamline and Oscar Nelson served as ad interim presidents until October 11, 1923, when H. A. Alden became president under a new organization of the Texas Lutheran Conference. Alden's efforts to expand the school into a junior college were approved by the conference in 1925 and by the state department in 1926, but by 1928 the enrollment had dropped to thirty, the school was in debt, and the building needed repair. Though grants from the Augustana Synod in 1928 helped temporarily, the enrollment was only forty-seven, and in 1929 the school was merged with Texas Lutheran College at Seguin.
H. C. Alden, The Evangelical Lutheran Trinity College of Round Rock, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TRINITY LUTHERAN COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbt30), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.