COMAL UNION SCHOOL
COMAL UNION SCHOOL. On February 13, 1852, the Texas legislature granted the citizens of Comal Town, Comal County, a charter incorporating the German-American Union School, or Comal Union School. The school had six trustees, three German-speaking and three English-speaking. Both languages were taught. In 1864 the school was granted a portion of the taxes received by New Braunfels Academy. The school continued for thirty years, progressing slowly because of competition from the academy, and finally became a New Braunfels ward school. In 1935, after being used as a school for black children for several years, the property was sold by the New Braunfels Independent School District to Mrs. Emma Schneider.
Edgar R. Dabney, The Settlement of New Braunfels and the History of Its Earlier Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1927). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."COMAL UNION SCHOOL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kcc06), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.