HENDERSON FEMALE COLLEGE
HENDERSON FEMALE COLLEGE. Henderson Female College, in Henderson, opened in August 1849. It was officially approved by the state legislature on January 28, 1856. Among the citizens of Rusk County placed in charge of the school were Mathew D. Ector, Malcolm D. Graham, William Wright Morris, A. B. Graham, and C. C. Shumate. Shumate served as principal from 1849 through 1855. Little else is known about the college, except that it was privately owned. It was probably destroyed on December 5, 1866, by a tornado.
Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986). Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ann Hudson, "HENDERSON FEMALE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kch04), accessed July 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.