HUNTSVILLE ACADEMY. Huntsville Academy, at Huntsville, was in operation as early as 1845 and was chartered on April 11, 1846. The school, which had a maximum enrollment of about seventy, was probably also known as the "Brick Academy." The building in which it operated was financed by voluntary contributions of citizens of Huntsville. By 1847 the school was designated as a place for female education.
D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Harry F. Estill, "The Old Town of Huntsville," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 3 (April 1900). Truman Harrison Etheridge, Education in the Republic of Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1942). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HUNTSVILLE ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kch16), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.