UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON COLLEGE OF PHARMACY
UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON COLLEGE OF PHARMACY. The University of Houston College of Pharmacy was established with the approval of the University Board of Regents on October 16, 1946. A committee comprised of pharmacists and related professionals worked with the university to establish the college and support its operations, and Houston physician and pharmacist Allan Collette served as acting dean. The college opened in 1947 with an enrollment of 144. It was accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education in 1950, and forty-one students received a bachelor of science in pharmacy in that year. The college was originally housed in the science building on the University of Houston campus. It moved to new quarters in the Lamar Fleming building in 1963. The Ph.D. program in pharmacology and a program in pharmaceutics were approved in 1987. In 1981 the pharmacy building at the Texas Medical Center was completed, and in the 1990s the first semesters of the pharmacy program were taught on the main campus and the last three semesters at the Medical Center. In 1977 the school entered into a consortium with the Baylor College of Medicine and the University of Texas Medical School to establish the Houston Pharmacological Center for the purpose of providing drug information to physicians, dentists, pharmacists, and other medical professionals at a one-acre site provided by the Texas Medical Center. The center, which later closed, was administered through the University of Texas Medical School Pharmacology Department. In 2001 about 900 pre-pharmacy and professional students were enrolled in the college, which had about forty-five basic science and clinical faculty. The college granted the doctor of pharmacy degree and a master of science degree in health systems pharmacy administration, in addition to Ph.D. degrees in pharmaceutics and pharmacology. The dean of the college was Mustafa F. Lokhandwala.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON COLLEGE OF PHARMACY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kcuww), accessed February 10, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles