Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon

NATIONAL ARCHIVES-FORT WORTH BRANCH

NATIONAL ARCHIVES–FORT WORTH BRANCH. The Fort Worth Branch of the National Archives is one of eleven regional branches of the National Archives of the United States. It was established in 1969 as the Federal Archives and Records Center to preserve records of permanent value that are produced or held by field offices of federal agencies in Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. It received its present name in 1985. In addition to original records, the Archives Branch has copies of many National Archives microfilm publications. Research rooms, microfilm-reading equipment, and document-reproduction facilities are available to the public. The Archives Branch has a variety of archival functions, including arranging records, preparing finding aids, performing reference services, preparing exhibits of holdings, and working with colleges and universities to aid faculty and students to make effective use of archival resources. Public programs conducted by the Archives Branch include outreach programs, internships, teacher workshops, film series, symposia, exhibits, and tours.

Original records in the custody of the Archives Branch are stored in stack areas with automatically controlled temperature and humidity. The records include records of United States District courts of Arkansas (1865–1969), Louisiana (1806–1966), Oklahoma (1907–69), and Texas (1846–1975); records of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1891–1971), which hears appeals from lower federal courts in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas; records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs from field offices in Oklahoma (1870–1970), including a wide variety of records, such as reports, administrative and correspondence files, tribal censuses, and school records; and records of the United States Army Corps of Engineers from district offices in Albuquerque (1935–43), Galveston (1897–1943), Little Rock (1907–43), New Orleans (1837–1943), and Tulsa (1908–44), relating to flood-control projects, dams, bridges, defense installations, conservation, and navigation. Holdings also include records from the War Manpower Administration, the Southwestern Power Administration, the United States Park Service, the Federal Highway Administration, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Environmental Protection Agency, Drug Enforcement Administration, and other sources. Microfilm holdings of the Archives Branch has reached 60,000 rolls and includes most of the nineteenth-century correspondence of the Department of State, many German records captured during World War II, and federal census population schedules from 1790 to 1910. The Archives Branch has a staff of eight. In 1993 more than 15,500 people visited the Fort Worth branch of the National Archives.

Jeanette Ford

Image Use Disclaimer

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Handbook of Texas Online, Jeanette Ford, "National Archives-Fort Worth Branch," accessed December 10, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lcn03.

Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.