TEXAS TRANSPORTATION INSTITUTE
TEXAS TRANSPORTATION INSTITUTE. The Texas Transportation Institute was established in 1950 to engage in research, provide instruction at the graduate level, and serve as the research agency for the Texas Highway Department (now the Texas Department of Transportationqv). Fred J. Benson, its first executive officer, was succeeded by Charles J. Keese in 1962. The institute is a part of the Texas A&M University System. Research activities were concerned with highway design and traffic engineering, highway bridges and structures, highway materials and soils, highway pavement design, vegetation control, and economic aspects of transportation. Among the educational activities sponsored by the institute were annual transportation conferences, refresher seminars for right-of-way agents, short courses in highway and traffic engineering and asphalt technology, graduate courses in various phases of transportation, and research subjects for theses and dissertations for advanced degrees. It extended information to the transportation industry through special adult education courses and publications. The institute also assisted in bringing specialists in transportation to the Texas A&M campus. The institute's research has provided successful solutions for many problems in transportation, resulting in more durable pavements, readily available aggregates for construction, use of lightweight concrete, prestressing and prefabricating concrete bridge structures, determination of influences of freeways on land values and uses, and sign supports that yield when struck by vehicles. Other areas of innovation include improved soil selection and use, materials testing, highway design, traffic control, and intersection illumination, and other accident-prevention methods.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.L. J. Horn, "TEXAS TRANSPORTATION INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mft01), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.