EIGHT-SECTION ACT. The so-called Eight-Section Act of April 15, 1905, amended laws concerning the sale and lease of public free school, asylum, and public lands, especially the law of 1901, by permitting the purchase or lease of as much as eight sections of land in Bandera, Brewster, Crockett, El Paso, Jeff Davis, Loving, Pecos, Presidio, Sutton, and Val Verde counties. The sale or lease was directed by the General Land Office, and provisions of the law imposed restrictions on the area in which additional sections might be purchased, residence and improvement requirements, and a policy of preference to lessees. On May 16, 1907, Edwards, Kinney, and Terrell counties were added to the eight-section counties, and Bandera and Loving counties were excluded. The act was in effect as late as 1920 but was omitted in the Civil Statutes of Texas in 1925.
Complete Texas Statutes (Kansas City, Missouri: Vernon Law Book Company, 1920). General Laws of the State of Texas, 1905.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Curtis Bishop, "EIGHT-SECTION ACT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mle01), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.