WOMAN'S CLUB OF SAN ANTONIO
WOMAN'S CLUB OF SAN ANTONIO. The Woman's Club of San Antonio was established by Mary Eleanor Brackenridge and Marin B. Fenwick after they attended a National Federation of Women's Clubs meeting in Denver, Colorado. It was organized with eighteen charter members on October 1, 1898, in the San Antonio Express Publishing building. The club was established to provide a nonpolitical, nonsectarian group for women seeking knowledge, culture, and comradeship. Its stated purpose was "mutual improvement and cooperation in all that pertains to the greater good of humanity," its motto, "Not For Self, But for All." The gavel used at the club's first meeting was carved from the branch of a tree that grew by the side of the Alamo. Brackenridge served for seven years as the club's first president. The club was admitted to the state federation in 1899, to the national federation in 1904, incorporated in 1920, and affiliated with clubs in New York, Michigan, England, and France.
Club departments encouraged sewing, manual training, and cooking in the public school curriculum, organized a Mother's Club that became the Parent-Teacher Association, supported the Protestant Orphan's Home, endorsed the Homestead Law, awarded scholarships, and raised funds to save the Spanish governor's palace in Military Plaza. In 1910 the club sponsored an art exhibit at the Carnegie Library that led to the formation of the Art League, and later the club purchased a painting by Julian Onderdonk.
The Woman's Club of San Antonio was first in the state to endorse women's suffrage. It promoted establishing a juvenile court, the use of matrons in city jails, and the hiring of policewomen. It succeeded in altering the city charter to allow women on the school board, obtained passage of a health ordinance prohibiting spitting, demanded that stores close at 6 p.m. to preserve family time and that female clerks be allowed to sit when not making sales, and discouraged development of a dance hall at Brackenridge Park. The first local radio talk show originated from the Women's Club. Members distributed flower seeds and plants, established gardens for the poor, and established a city flower show in 1913. From the first Round Table luncheon organized by Mrs. Fred Maule, more than twelve separate groups developed by the 1980s. The first club publication, the Scribbler, was produced under the auspices of the City Federation of Women's Clubs and was published by the Scribbler's Round Table; Sallie King Hopkins was editor. The first permanent clubhouse was purchased in 1916, and a private home was acquired to serve as a clubhouse in 1926. By 1989 the club had seven departments and a membership of 260.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Leta Proctor Baughn, "Woman's Club of San Antonio," accessed December 06, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/pww02.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.