CAMP WALLACE. Camp Wallace, Galveston County, was designed as a training center for antiaircraft units in World War II. It was formally opened on February 1, 1941, and named for Col. Elmer J. Wallace of the Fifty-ninth Coast Artillery, who was fatally wounded in the Meuse-Argonne offensive of 1918. For two years Camp Wallace served as an antiaircraft replacement training center. On April 15, 1944, the camp was officially transferred to the United States Navy as a naval training and distribution center and was used as a boot camp. After the war it became the Naval Personnel Separation Center. It was declared surplus in 1946.
David G. McComb, Galveston: A History (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1986). Texas Almanac, 1945–46, 1947–48.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMP WALLACE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc30), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.