CURTIS FIELD. Curtis Field, a United States Army flying field on U.S. Highway 283 3½ miles north of Brady in central McCulloch County, was named for Mayor Harry L. Curtis of Brady, who proposed the site as an auxiliary field for the army. At the time it was built it was the only army air field named for a living person. Construction of the airport began in November 1940, and a primary flying school from Love Field in Dallas moved to Curtis Field. Classes began on March 23, 1941, with eighty students; as many as 500 were enrolled at one time. Facilities at the 354-acre field included a headquarters building and annex, a ground school, an infirmary, three barracks, and four hangars. Three auxiliary fields within a ten-mile radius were used for training purposes. The school, originally for primary flight training, was used for basic training twice in its history but had reverted to primary training when it was closed on August 4, 1945, and became the Brady municipal airport. Some 10,000 student flyers were graduated. About 85 percent of the instructors and students were native Texans.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert W. Stewart, "CURTIS FIELD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc40), accessed July 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.