FORT HENDERSON. Fort Henderson was built by Maj. William H. Smith's Texas Ranger battalion early in 1837 and commanded by Capt. Lee C. Smith as part of the defensive line established by the Republic of Texas against marauding plains Indians. The fort was named for Gen. James Pinckney Henderson, secretary of state. It was on the upper Navasota River near the present boundaries of Robertson and Leon counties, deep in Indian territory and therefore difficult to supply and of questionable defensive utility. For those reasons the fort was abandoned soon after its construction, probably in the fall of 1837.
Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas W. Cutrer, "FORT HENDERSON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbf60), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.