BLACKLAND ARMY AIR FIELD
BLACKLAND ARMY AIR FIELD. Blackland Army Air Field, five miles northwest of Waco, was activated in June 1942. It was initially named China Springs Army Air Field and was also known as Waco Army Air Field No. 2 before being renamed after the local black soil. It was first a glider training school and in October 1942 became an advanced two-engine pilot school. The field became inactive on October 31, 1945, and by 1950 was operating as Waco Municipal Airport. Some buildings were used as a public housing project.
Patricia Ward Wallace, Our Land, Our Lives: A Pictorial History of McLennan County (Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Virginia, 1986).