ADOBE CREEK. Adobe Creek rises in its northern branch in northeastern Hutchinson County (at 36°01' N, 101°11' W) and flows southeast for eight miles to its mouth on the Canadian River, twelve miles northeast of Plemons (at 35°53' N, 101°08' W). The creek crosses an area of flat to rolling plains surfaced with mesquite and various grasses. The stream received its name from the sandy and clayey soils along its banks, which were used to make adobe bricks. Bent, St. Vrain and Company used these soils to construct their adobe trading house in 1843. The Adobe Walls trading post of 1874 was also located near the creek (see ADOBE WALLS, TEXAS).
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ADOBE CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rba04), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.