ALLENS CREEK (AUSTIN COUNTY)
ALLENS CREEK (Austin County). Allen's (Allens) Creek, also known as Eight Mile Creek, rises near Sealy in southeastern Austin County (at 29°47' N, 96°10' W) and flows southeast through mostly open country for fifteen miles to its mouth on the Brazos River, two miles north of Wallis (at 29°40' N, 96°03' W). The area is gently sloping to nearly level and surfaced with loam and clay that support elm, hackberry, post oak, black hickory, and blackjack oak. Settlement along the stream began in the 1820s. The creek heads in the four-league tract that Stephen F. Austin donated to his colony as a site for its capital, San Felipe de Austin. The stream is named for Miles N. Allen, who patented a quarter league of land on the creek in 1827. It was formerly known as Eight Mile Creek because it was thought to head eight miles below San Felipe de Austin. During the late 1870s Sealy was established near the headwaters by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway on a three-acre tract purchased from the San Felipe de Austin town corporation.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALLENS CREEK (AUSTIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rba25), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles