ALLEY CREEK. Alley Creek rises on the fringes of a strip mine four miles south of Hughes Springs in southwestern Cass County (at 32°56' N, 94°39' W) and flows southeast for nine miles to its mouth on Lake O' the Pines in northwestern Marion County (at 32°48' N, 94°35' W). The soils along the creekbed are loamy, and the gently rolling to hilly land is heavily wooded, with pines and various hardwoods predominating. In 1847 Jefferson Nash constructed what is presumed to be the first iron furnace in Texas beside a small unnamed tributary of Alley Creek, on land now in Marion County (see NASH'S IRON FOUNDRY). Alley Creek was named for an early settler who constructed a sawmill on its banks.
Robert L. Jones, "The First Iron Furnace in Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 63 (October 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALLEY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rba27), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.