ALLIGATOR CREEK (FREESTONE COUNTY)
ALLIGATOR CREEK (Freestone County). Alligator Creek rises four miles west of Oakwood in extreme southern Freestone County (at 31°33' N, 95°58' W) and flows south for eight miles to its mouth on Buffalo Creek, in northeastern Leon County (at 31°29' N, 95°55' W). The stream traverses steeply sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy loam that supports pecan, elm, water oak, hackberry, post oak, and black hickory. Settlement in the vicinity of the stream began in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1872 the International-Great Northern Railroad constructed a line through the area and established Oakland as a rail station east of the creek. Keechi is located on the west bank of the creek.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALLIGATOR CREEK (FREESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbaba), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.