BANDERA CREEK. Bandera Creek rises in Bandera Pass, 2½ miles south of Camp Verde in northeastern Bandera County (at 29°51' N, 99°06' W), and flows south for thirteen miles to its mouth on the Medina River, a mile east of Bandera (at 29°44' N, 99°03' W). The stream traverses flat to steep terrain with slopes, benches, and deep, dense local dissections. The area vegetation consists primarily of juniper, live oak, and grasses that grow in thin, stony clay loams. The creek is named after Bandera Pass. It was shown on Stephen F. Austin's 1829 map of Texas as Puerta de la Bandera.
J. Marvin Hunter, Pioneer History of Bandera County (Bandera, Texas: Hunter's Printing, 1922).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BANDERA CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbb16), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.