BURLESON CREEK. Burleson Creek rises five miles northwest of Lampasas in south central Lampasas County (at 31°07' N, 98°15' W) and flows southeast for seven miles to its mouth on Sulphur Creek, within the Lampasas city limits (at 31°04' N, 98°10' W). The stream crosses an area of the Grand Prairies characterized by steep slopes and limestone benches, which give a stairstep appearance to the landscape. Generally shallow sandy and clay loams of the area support grasses and open stands of oak, live oak, mesquite, and juniper. The stream was probably named for John Burleson, whose land grant of 1,280 acres at the mouth of the creek became the site of Lampasas. Hannah Springs, which has a heavy sulphur content, is located on Burleson Creek at the northeast corner of Lampasas. The springs, originally used as a watering hole by the Indians, later became noted as a medicinal bathing spot among white settlers, beginning in the mid-1850s. In 1882, when the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway came to Lampasas, the Hannah Springs Company, under the direction of a man named Hannah, built the Hannah Bath and Opera House, a popular tourist attraction.
Jonnie Ross Elzner, Relighting Lamplights of Lampasas County, Texas (Lampasas: Hill Country, 1974). An Industrial Survey of Lampasas, Texas (College Station, Texas: Lampasas Chamber of Commerce, 1959). Ralph Kenneth Loy, An Economic Survey of Lampasas County (Austin: University of Texas Bureau of Business Research, 1949).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BURLESON CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbnp), accessed August 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.