CLARKS CREEK (LAVACA COUNTY)
CLARKS CREEK (Lavaca County). Clarks Creek rises a mile northeast of the intersection of Alternate U.S. Highway 77 and State Highway 95, at Yoakum in western Lavaca County (at 29°20' N, 97°08' W) and runs southeast for 33½ miles to its mouth on the Lavaca River, 6½ miles east of the intersection of Highway 77 and State Highway 111 (at 29°10' N, 96°52' W). Its course traverses rolling plains surfaced by variable soils. The area is used as range and improved pasture for cattle, with supplemental production of corn and grain sorghums and the flow from numerous oil and gas wells. The creek's name is probably derived from that of the families of Ben F. and John Clark, who lived in the area before 1840 and were active in the Clark-Hughes feud and the Petersburg-Hallettsville fight for the location of the county seat.
Paul C. Boethel, Colonel Amasa Turner, the Gentleman from Lavaca, and Other Captains at San Jacinto (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1963). Paul C. Boethel, Sand in Your Craw (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CLARKS CREEK (LAVACA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcel), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.