COLLARDS CREEK. Collards Creek rises a mile east of Madisonville in central Madison County (at 30°57' N, 95°53' W) and runs southeast ten miles to its mouth on Bedias Creek, on the Walker county line (at 30°53' N, 95°47' W). The surrounding gently sloping to nearly level terrain is surfaced by sandy loam that supports pecan-elm, water oak-elm, willow oak-blackgum, and post oak-black hickory woods. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity began during the 1830s. Pee Dee was on the west bank of the middle creek by the early 1830s. Madisonville was established west of the headwaters in 1854. The creek is named for Job Starks Collard, the original grantee of the land on which it rises.
Madison County Historical Commission, A History of Madison County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."COLLARDS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcgm), accessed July 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.